Monday, August 11, 2014

Coffee at The Mean Bean

Let me start with this: I'm a little shallow. I admit it. Aesthetics are unreasonably important to me, especially when it comes to coffee houses. I have a coffee pot. I like Folgers. When I visit coffee shops, it's normally for the atmosphere rather than the coffee in particular. Give me charming coffee or I'll just stay home. Or go to a bar.
 
The Mean Bean opened about a year and a half ago at Stuart and Alameda. This weekend was my first visit. I naturally avoid things that are salmon colored but are not fish. I purposely don't patron businesses that lay asphalt all the way up to the building (unless it's industrial on purpose). And, like many others in the world who care about typeface, I loathe Papyrus font. I'd never even thought of stopping into the one coffee shop actually within walking distance of my house, for no other reason than because it's ugly. Until now. They painted murals. It's a step in the right direction. So I stepped in for a cuppa.

And, it was really good coffee.

The inside of the building is pretty inoffensive. The coffee-lady was nice. They had real flowers on the tables and local art for sale on the walls. They've tried to jazz up the exterior a bit by adding a table and three potted plants. I appreciate their efforts and totally dig that Westwood and Barnum at last have a coffee shop. A coffee shop with some of the best drip coffee I've ever had at a coffee shop.

Still, I really hope that someday they take a jackhammer to all that asphalt and put in some trees and plants. And a real patio. And better paint colors. And a sidewalk so I don't get run over for having walked there. And a bike rack. And awnings. And did I already say trees and plants? Cause I really mean it. Plant some mother fucking trees, yo. Asphalt is not a landscaping material.

Whatever. It's ugly but it tastes good so go there. Because you're probably not as psycho/snobby/shallow as me. The end.


4 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Literally just LOL'd...nice write up. Been meaning to go here for a while, I'll check it out! In other news...there is a new playground at 3rd and Lowell - unfortunately its locked up. Couldn't help but notice kids longingly looking through the fence. Why build a playground and not allow kids to play!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is part of the Savio House, not public property

      Delete
  2. Didn't that used to be a bar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I think it was vacant for a good minute before the Mean Bean moved in. Before that? *shrugs*

      Delete